Eva Bod ceramics header

Eva Bod ceramics

posted in: Photos | 0

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Maecenas sit amet fermentum dolor, et consectetur elit. Sed gravida dui ac lobortis pretium. Quisque in ante tellus. Nulla facilisi. In vel enim a est faucibus tempus sit amet elementum nisi. Sed eget libero non neque egestas dictum. Integer in arcu facilisis, rhoncus massa nec, facilisis mi. Vivamus aliquet tortor eget convallis egestas. Fusce semper nunc sed est egestas, a pellentesque enim laoreet. Aenean accumsan nunc diam, vel suscipit ante commodo sed. Sed hendrerit magna id magna blandit pharetra. Pellentesque at tempus neque, at mattis nisl.

Gallery

Eva Bod vases

Image 1 of 11

Eva Bod vases

Picture 1 of 11

Zsolnay gargoyle

Post war Hungarian Ceramic Manufactories

posted in: History | 0
  1. Pécs, Zsolnay – gyár/factory ( founded in 1852)
  2. Városlőd (1844-1948 / 1968-1975)
  3. Hódmezővásárhely (1912-1972)
  4. Zalaegerszeg Zalakerámia – Tófej Kerámia (1951-1991)
  5. Granit (founded in 1922)
  6. Bodrogkeresztúr (1959-1991)
  7. Pesthidegkút
  8. Magyarszombatfa (1951-1998)

Post war Hungarian Ceramic Factories

Pécs – Zsolnay Gyár/Factory

Zsolnay gargoyle
Zsolnay gargoyle

The peak of local and international success of the famous Zsolnay ceramics were at the turn of the 19-20th century. Until the beginning of WW1, Zsolnay’s Secessionist pirogranit and eosin masterpieces were praised and admired by the whole world. The cataclysmic changes of the first half of the 20th century profoundly changed the factory’s profile and production.

The factory was nationalised in 1948. It became the Pécsi Zsolnay Porcelángyár/Porcelain factory.

The country was rebuilding and until 1953, Zsolnay only produced industrial porcelain (insulation materials and tableware).

István Gábor, Scalpture in Pécs 1972
István Gábor, Scalpture in Pécs 1972
Zsolnay mark
Zsolnay mark

In 1953, under the leadership of Sinkó András, the design and production of decorative objects and tableware was restarted. The next year, eosin production was redevelopped and used in modern style objects and figurines.

A young group of ceramists brought a wind of modernity and creativity. They would lead the reconversion of the old factory (Fekete János, Gazder Antal, Török János, Fürtös György and Nádor Judit).

In 1968, the factory was modernised and introduced the production of pieces in pirogranit and chamotte, building and decorative elements, garden decoration or vases.

In the 1970’s, Gádor István collaborated with the Zsolnay factory in the creation of large outdoor decorative elements.

Hungarian collectors have already rediscovered the post war period of the Zsolnay factory but it’s value is still very far from the masterpieces of the early 20th century.

Zsolnay porcelain tableware, 1966
Zsolnay porcelain tableware, 1966
Zsolnay caffee set
Zsolnay caffee set

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Városlőd

Városlőd, Károly Szekeres, Vessel 1978
Városlőd,Károly Szekeres, Vessel 1978

In the neighbourhood of the famous porcelain manufactory of Herend, Városlőd was a center for folk pottery and traditional ceramics. Its red clay was famous all over the country. Since the mid 19th century, high quality earhenware in traditional folk style was produced. After WW2, the factory restarted a small production of earthenware. In 1947, it even exported tea pots to Holland!

Soon after the nationalisation of the factory in 1950, it ceased to operate. In 1969, the Herend Porcelain Factory build a new production plant in Városlőd . Under the name, Városlődi Majolikagyár, it started producing again the famous folk style earthenware and pottery. The young and talented ceramist Szekeres Károly (1940)  was in charge of the artistic direction. He introduced modern, colourful  and functionnal design in a large selection of products (decorative objects, tableware, mostly in brown, yellow and green glazes). Rapidly, the factory became an important actor on the market.More than 300 workers and 100 painters were active in those years.

Városlőd : Éva Horváth, wine set – Brand Ágoston, coffee set, 1969
Városlőd : Éva Horváth, wine set – Ágoston Brand, coffee set, 1969

 

Hódmezővásárhely Majolikagyár HMV

Ceramic tile manufacturing in this region goes back to the late 18th century. By 1860, more than 400 craftmen worked

Hódmezővásárhely, Mária Sövegjártó
Hódmezővásárhely, Mária Sövegjártó

in the tile and earthenware production.  In 1912, a new factory was build and the HMV Majolikagyár started to produce tiles, tableware and decorative objects in the traditional Hungarian folk style. From the start, the factory had an artistic department where they experimented with new technologies and new glazes. The company was successfull not only locally but since the early days exported and took part in trade fairs all over Europe. After 1945, the production resumed. In 1949, due to a lack of finances , the company went into liquidation.

Gyula Végváry, Faenza 1967
Gyula Végváry, Faenza 1967

In 1950, a new company was founded under the name Hódmezővásárhely Majolikagyár Állami Vállalat /HMV Majolica factory State Company. At the beginning, the production relied heavily on the regional folk art traditions.  The cultural policy of the early 1950’s supported and encouraged the rediscovery of the traditions of the Hungarian peasantry in order to incorporate these traditions in the new Socialist art. As soon as 1953, a Folk Art Studio was developed at the factory. In 1955, the graphic artist Kajári Gyula became the artistic director. Under his leadership, the company raised the quality of its designs and products. In 1958, HMV took part in the Brussels World Expo, gaining visibility, it gained new export markets for its popular products. In 1958 and 59, two freshly graduated ceramists, Végvári Gyula  and Fekete János became designers at the HMV factory. Beside their decorative creations, they both had an important architectural and monumental production during their career. Both were pupils of Gádor István and Borsos Miklós. Végvári and Fekete were both influenced by the traditional Hungarian folk art and both worked on its modern synthesis. In 1965, Végvári Gyula won a Gold Medal at the Faenza exhibition (participated 1966,67,68,69). In 1972, he was selected for the Vallauris Biennalé.

In the mid-sixties, HMV created one of its most successfull serie, the so-called „Pamacsolt/whitewashed” ceramics (brown base with white brushed glaze). It was widely sold locally and on international market as well.

Hódmezővásárhely, Gyula Végváry, Vase 1967
Gyula Végváry, Vase 1967
Hódmezővásárhely, Mária H. Tihanyiné, Vase1967
Mária H. Tihanyiné, Vase 1967

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tófej Kerámiaüzem – Zalaegerszegi Kerámia és Cserépkályhagyár

In 1951, fifteen brick factories started to work under the name of Téglagyári Egyesülés / Brick Factory Union.

In 1963, the production of ceramic glazes was developed at the Tófej factory.

In 1969, the company produced :

  1. Ceramic tiles (wall and floor),
  2. Bricks,
  3. Surface-plate,
  4. Tile-stove,
  5. Decorative objects, tableware

The most notable designers were Németh János (1934) and Czugh Dezső (1925-1995).

The company was privatized in 1991 and retained only its tile production.

In the 1960’s – 70’s Tófej Kerámia specialised in popular and affordable mass produced ceramic products for home decoration. Their typical orange colours with black glaze and modern forms were very much part of the Hungarian homes and public buildings.

New sources are helping us to complete the history of the Tófej Ceramic Factory in the upcoming months.

 

Gránit Csiszolókorong és Kőedénygyár / Granit Grindstone and Stone-ware Factory

 

Granit factory mark
Granit factory mark

The origins of the company can be traced back to 1920 when a glazed earthenware production started in a workshop belonging to a brick factory in Kispest (one of the industrial suburb of Budapest, now 19th District).

In 1924, 100 workers and a new factory started to produce sanitary ware, hollow ware and decorative ceramics (vase,

Granit factory: designers 1972
Granit factory: designers 1972

jardiniére, figurine).

In the 1930’s, the factory was modernized and next to Arabia in Finland, Granit became one of the biggest industrial ceramic producer in Europe.

The factory was nationalized in 1948 and restructured in 1950. The factory ceased to produce sanitary ware but added the production of grindstone.

As the demand developped at home and in the other Socialist countries, the Granit factory added new products like tableware and decorative objects.

From the 1960’s, a new generation of designers created new forms and colours. Granit factory regularly took part in arts & crafts exhibitions and fairs, winning design awards and public recognition.

In 1990, the factory was restructured and privatized. It stopped its activities in 2002.

Notable designers :

Master ceramist , Zahajszky László (1913-1996), artistic director, worked at the factory since 1940. He designed ornamental vases, tableware and flower stands. His creation was influenced by Etruscan and Celtic art. His zodiac floor vase serie of 1970 is a good example of high quality industrial production.

Minya Mária, porcelain and ceramic designer (1946), Munkácsy Prize (1980). She worked at the Granit factory from 1970 to 1986 (artistic director 1982-86).From 1974 to 1997, she had 13 architectural commissions in the country. From 1970, she took part in all major local and international exhibitions (Pécs Biennalé,70,72,75 – Faenza,Ankara,Istambul, 1973 – Vilnius, 1975 – Berlin, 1977 – Vienna, 1980). In the 1980’s, she started to teach at the Academy.

Granit Factory - László Zahajszky, floor vase No.1, 1970
László Zahajszky, floor vase 1970
Granit Factory - László Zahajszky, floor vase 1970
László Zahajszky, floor vase 1970

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Granit factory, ceramic sets

Granit Factory – 1.-2. mugs, 1968 – 3. tea set, 1970 – 4. wine set (hand painted), 1964 – 5. mokka set, 1967.

Granit Factory Vase 1969.
Granit Factory Vase 1969.
Granit Factory Schnaps flasks 1968.
Granit Factory Schnaps flasks 1968.
Granit Factory Sandwich set 1969.
Granit Factory Sandwich set 1969.
Granit Factory Wine set 1967.
Granit Factory Wine set 1967.
Granit factory, Mária Minya, Faenza 1973
Mária Minya, Faenza 1973
Granit factory, Mária Minya, spice containers 1975
Mária Minya, spice containers 1975

 

Bodrogkeresztúri Kerámia

Bodrogkeresztúr factory mark
Bodrogkeresztúr factory mark

In 1930, Ullrich Károly started the production of glazed earthenware, tableware and decorative objects in his factory of

Bodrogkeresztúr.The Ullrich family emigrated from Germany to Hungary in the late 18th century. They took part in the development of the Herend Porcelain factory in the 1830’s.

In 1952, with less than 10 workers, the company joined a regional cooperative. In 1957, the ceramic factory became an independant cooperative. Already in 1962, more than 100 workers produced industrial ceramic (tile-stove) and decorative objects.

Bodrogkeresztur ceramic factory mark
Bodrogkeresztur ceramic factory mark

In the early 1970’s, the production was booming with new export markets (Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union, Italy, France, Austria, Finland, North and South America through Artex Foreign Trade Company).

Locally, Bodrogkeresztúr Kerámia was marketed in the Amfóra shops (Tableware, ceramic,glass, porcelain retail shops).

The company went bankrupt  and was liquidated in the end of 1991.

 

Pesthidegkút Kerámiaüzem /Ceramic factory

Up until now, we have not yet found any relevant information about this small ceramic factory which operated in the Buda hills.

The only reference we have so far is the 1975 book (p.28) „Mai Magyar Iparművészet-Kerámia,Porcelán,Üveg/Today’s Hungarian Arts & Crafts, Ceramic,Porcelain, Glass” by Koczogh Ákos.

 

Magyarszombatfa Kerámiagyár /Ceramic Factory

This little village was a center for traditional folk pottery. In the post war years, the cultural authorities started to support the development of local pottery cooperatives. Ceramists experts like Eschenbach Jenő took part in this campaign to revitalize traditional folk pottery in local communities. In 1951, twelve potters founded the Magyarszombatfa Háziipari Szövetkezet/ Homecraft Cooperative. The cooperative was nationalized in 1953. Already in 1956, the factory, using the famous red clay from Városlőd, produced tableware, plates and decorative objects in the regional folk style. They exported ceramic vases and coin-boxes (!) to the UK, Holland and Danemark.

The factory was modernized in 1957. In 1964, Magyarszombatfa had a catalogue of more than 150 products. From 1966 to 69, they added wine and coffee sets, jugs and a line of modern decorative objects (vases, plates, lamps).

Notable designer :

Geszler Mária (1941), graduated at the MIF/Arts & Crafts Academy in 1965 as a pupil of Csekovszky Árpád. From 1966 to 1976, she was designer at the Magyarszombatfa factory. Munkácsy Prize in 1979. Silver Medal at the 1982 Vallauris Biennalé. Her hometown of Szombathely has five of her architectural works. Took part in the Kecskemét International Ceramics Studio in 1978,79,80,81,82,83,87,88. Selected for the Faenza Exhibition in 1967, 69,79,83,84,85,86,89. From 1966, she exhibited regularly at home and abroad.

Portrait of Jozsef Breznay

József Breznay

posted in: Artists | 0

József  Breznay, Hungarian painter, Budapest, 20 september 1916 – Budapest, 18 February 2012.

His artistic talents developed during his secondary school years (1926-1934). In 1934, he was admitted to the Budapest University of Fine Arts in the class of Bertalan Karlovszky (1858-1938). From 1934 to 1939, he studied under  Ágost  Benkhard (1882-1961), Rezső Burghardt (1884-1963)  and István Szőnyi (1894-1960). From 1938 to 39, he was Szőnyi’s assistant. During these years, he met fellow student Eugénia Bonda (1914-1944) who would become his first wife. In 1939, he won the most prestigious scholarship, the Rome Prize. He worked there as a resident of the Collegium Hungaricum between 1939 and 1940. In 1940 he received again the Rome Prize. During those years, Breznay’s style matured. In 1945, he married Éva Molnár. They had two children.In 1946, he had his first solo exhibition in the Fókusz gallery in Budapest.

In 1952, his second wife died. In 1954, he married Mária Gánóczy. They had 7 children.

During the early fifties, like many Hungarian artists, he painted in the socialist realist style. After the revolution of 1956, he started to travel abroad. In France, he met Victor Vasarely and Tibor Csernus. In 1962, he exhibited in Paris at the gallery Barbizon.